I have been thinking a lot about New Year’s resolutions over the last week. The return to work and school has got me contemplating this brand new year, and what my hopes are for it. I’m not the best resolution keeper…although I did succeed in my one resolution last year, to get more sleep! With a small sleep-adverse baby that was a quite a major achievement.
So, for 2015 I am focusing on productivity. Like so many people, I never seem to have enough time in the day for everything that needs doing. I really need to make the most of my free time and work time. I have come up with my essentials for being productive in the next year.
- Planning time: Making time to plan and make lists, especially at the start or end of the day is so helpful. I also love to tick things off a list as I complete them…but maybe that’s just me!
- Set times for tasks: It is very easy to take too long on not so important tasks, so setting aside realistic time slots is a great idea. It also helps with motivation to complete tasks you would rather put off; knowing they have an end time makes them less scary.
- Use down-time: Waiting around time for appointments or school/nursery pick up can be useful for catching up on emails, online grocery shopping, etc…thank goodness for smart phones!
- Asking for help or advice: Taking time to ask and listen to other people’s opinions, and sharing experiences, can be so helpful. Good advice saves massive amounts of time that could otherwise have been wasted.
- Rest and reward: A little break is a massive incentive and helps to recharge. I often find that if I work for an hour, a short break for coffee helps me focus again. Setting a reward for completing something is also really helpful. As a student my reward was a biscuit for every hour of revision! Nowadays a bubble bath at the end of the day or a new magazine is more likely…although I do still love an occasional biscuit or three!
If you are looking to become more productive in running or starting a small business, you can visit Kabbage As an online provider of small business loans, Kabbage is perfect as a resource for entrepreneurs who are striving to achieve their goals. There are more ideas on ways small business owners can boost their productivity on the Kabbage community page.
I’d love to hear your thoughts on productivity essentials!